So, guys – I’ve decided to try out a new diet. With 2016 officially upon us, it seems like we’re all resetting our health and fitness goals to finally become the healthiest version of ourselves. But which diet train have I decided to hop on this year? Weight Watchers? Jenny Craig? Slimfast? Nope…
My 2016 will be filled with a lot of champagne!! And a lot of whole, nutritious foods, sweat sessions and self-care routines like bubble baths, lighting candles and curling up with a good book.
Yep, I’m going on The Champagne Diet.
The last diet I went on was the Special K Diet back in freshman year of high school, where basically all you eat is cereal and snack bars filled with a shit ton of preservatives that don’t even fill you up. I mean, I dropped a few pounds but gained it right back after I got back to eating REAL food. Diets just aren’t for me.
After finishing this book in three days over Christmas vacation, (it’s a great airplane read!) I’m officially obsessed with Cara Alwill Leyba’s approach to living a healthy lifestyle. While I don’t want to spoil the book for you because I highly suggest you pick up a copy if this topic interests you, here are a few key things I took away from The Champagne Diet:
- Make your meals an experience. As Cara says “It’s all about cooking a delicious meal while sipping on a glass of wine in an outfit you feel glamorous in, as opposed to heating up a diet pizza in ratty pajamas.” Sure, not EVERY night, but try to do this a few times a week.
- The fastest way to be miserable is to compare yourself to other women. The stress over trying to look like someone else will make you fatter – YEP.
- Stop doing the *Cheat Day* thing. “By the time you reach that cheat day, you’re so fucking starving that you dive head first into whatever it is you’ve been fantasizing about all week long.” Accurate. If you have enough willpower to not act in the aforementioned way, more power to you – I simply do not.
- Champagne can improve brain function, cardiovascular health, your sex life and your mood – duh. Don’t ask me how, but all the facts are in the book!
- Greasy foods and “hair of the dog” actually don’t help your hangover – I know, I know #BaconEggAndCheesePlease? But next time you’ve had one too many Moscow Mules, get it together and start ridding your body of those toxins right away with things like bananas, fresh-squeezed OJ, eggs and lemon water.
- Life is too short to surround yourself with anything but the best – whether it’s your job, the people in your life or the environment you live in, you deserve the best.
- Do something once a week that lets you be a little girly – whether it’s getting a pedicure, taking a hot yoga class or wearing pumps just because, remember that being a girl is fun!! Cheesy, maybe. But seriously, try it.
- “The more you can design a world that is filled with healthy, nutritious foods and calming rituals, the more you will master a sense of calm and balance in your life.” I just love this one.
Who else is ready to “eat, drink and celebrate” their way to a healthy mind and body with me? Happy 2016, babes! xx